Welcome to Deck Experts' Blog. Here you will find articles, news and tips on building, maintaining and repairing custom decks, railing & outdoor living spaces for your home in Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, or in Kamloops.
Spring Deck ChecklistMarch 2nd, 2022 | by Admin Deck Experts | in Outdoor Living Space | 0
Now is a good time to assess if your deck needs any work done to it this year. It may be too cold and wet to fix it this week, but you may want to fix it early in the year to enjoy the deck fully in the summer. So, what should you look for? Here’s our handy checklist for assessing your deck.
- Are any boards that are split and will need replacing?
- Are you missing hardware or screws where boards are held down? Is the hardware rusty or loose?
- Are there any spongy parts that could indicate not just a decking problem but a joist problem.
- Do you have the outdoor privacy you need?
- Will the deck need to be repainted or stained this year?
- Has your deck been pooling water? Your deck should drain away from the house.
- Are the railings secure? Do you have railings where needed?
- Is your decking uneven? Are any boards buckling?
- Do you have moldy areas on the deck?
These are the first things to look at. However, a professional deck builder can give you a better and more thorough assessment. Now that we are having a little nice weather, take a close look at your deck and see if it is going to need some work this year. Deck professionals will get very busy very quickly once it warms up. If you need some work done on your deck, you may want to make an appointment with one as quickly as possible.
Deck Experts, based in Surrey, BC, are professional deck builders with a long track record of success. We offer free estimates and long warranties and can build or fix any deck around. If you have any questions about this article or would like to talk to us about decks, please call us at (604) 626-7100.