Welcome to Deck Experts' Blog. Here you will find articles, news and tips on building, maintaining and repairing custom decks, railing & outdoor living spaces for your home in Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, or in Kamloops.
5 Tips to Protect your Deck Finish From Rain and SnowFebruary 25th, 2021 | by Admin Deck Experts | in Outdoor Living Space | 0
A lot of people enjoy spending time on their deck. Enjoying nice weather, entertaining friends, barbecuing, or reading a book are some of the things you do on your deck. During winter and our rainy season your home exterior including your deck might be vulnerable to damage if not protected properly.
This blog lists the top five tips of what you can do to protect your deck finish from rain and snow.
- Clean your deck thoroughly
- Use a protective finish
- Remove planters in winter
- Remove the snow!
- Be carefull when you clean the surfaces
- Clean your deck thoroughly: Barbecue stains and ground-in dirt can ruin the appearance of your deck. If you expose the deck to moisture it can create a perfect condition for the growth of algae, moss, mildew, and mould. You should clear away any clutter on the deck. Planters on the deck can cause moisture leaching, which might leave behind some discoloration.
- Use a protective finish: After cleaning your deck, if your deck is wood, you should apply a water-repellent finish to protect the deck against the damaging effects of snow and winter.
- Remove planters: Any storage containers, pots, or planters should be removed from the deck for winter storage. Moisture that is trapped between the plastic and deck can cause decay, discoloration, or mildew to your deck.
- Removal of snow: You should sweep the leaves from the deck at regular intervals to lessen damage and fading from prolonged contact with rain and snow. We recommend you to use a blower. Also, remove the snow from the deck so snow doesn’t sit on the deck for months.
- Clean the surfaces carefully: You should carefully clean your deck using the right (not harsh) products. Power washing restores the beauty of your deck.
With a little care, your deck with look great for a long time. These are some very easy things you can do that will make a big difference.
Deck Experts, based in Surrey, BC, are professional deck builders with a long track record of success. We offer free estimates and long warranties, and can build or fix any deck around.
If you have any questions about this article or would like to talk to us about decks, please call us at (604) 626-7100.